Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Book Review-Trouble At The Wedding

Trouble At The Wedding
Abandoned At The Alter (3)
Laura Lee Guhrke
Avon
Mass Market Paperback
Published January 2012
372 Pages
Historical Romance
ISBN: 978-0-06-196317-9
Author's Website
Synopsis
Annabel is about to marry the perfect man . . .

The last thing Miss Annabel Wheaton desires is true love. She learned the hard way that love makes a woman foolish and leads only to heartache. That's why she agreed to marry an earl who needs her money. He's got a pedigree and a country estate, and he won't ever break her heart. There's only one problem . . .

Christian isn't about to let her marry that pompous prig . . .

Christian Du Quesne, Duke of Scarborough, thinks the stubborn heiress is about to make the biggest mistake of her life, and he's determined to stop her. Tempting beautiful women is Christian's forte, after all. When her family offers him a nice sum of money to stop the wedding, he's happy to accept.

Falling in love with Annabel was never supposed to be part of the bargain . .

My Review
Summary 
Annabel grew up with not much money, but when her father lands a gold mine, but then dies suddenly she has a fortune in her possession. All Annabel has ever wanted for her life was to get married and have a family, and she has a chance to have a good life in England, to land a title and she knows he isn't the type to demand her heart on a platter, just her money. Annabel only wants to be happy, but doesn't need love in her life, at least that is what she thought until Christian, the Duke of Scarborough came into her life. Christian, has just become the Duke of Scarborough when his older brother passes away suddenly, after losing most of everything they had to gambling. Christian has been gambling most of his life, but unlike his brother, he knows the game well, and has the greatest luck to have never lost a fortune to it. When Annabel's uncle comes to him with a proposition, if he can convince her to cancel the wedding, he will give Christian half a million, which is enough to start to rebuild what his brother lost in a card game. What Christian didn't expect was to find love or a woman that would break the ice around the walls of his heart.

My Thoughts 
I was really excited to get my hands on this newest addition to Laura Lee Guhrke's books. I have just loved every one of her stories, they always capture my attention from the beginning. Even though this wasn't my favorite of hers, I still enjoyed it quite a bit, and before I knew it I was done with it, so it did fly by pretty quick, and was a easy engaging read. Set in the early 1900's which is a bit different from her other books, but I liked the era she chooses which is the Edwardian Era, which is a later era than she usually does. However I found I enjoyed the set of the scene in the beginning. It starts out in New York City, then progresses onto a ship headed for England, and it only gets better. There was a instant chemistry between this couple that I found sizzling yet tender at times as well. There was enough steam to fog your windows in the classic way that Guhrke writes her books. The story line was fun and definitely had some shocks that will fire up your nervous system. Christian is handsome, total rake, and doesn't deny it, he is proud of it except for the fact that he hides who he really is behind that facade. Christian has certain vulnerabilites that just sung to me in a real way, my heart just broke for him, he won me over almost instantly. Annabel is very spirited and knows what she wants, she also has certain weaknesses at well, that only appealed to me. I did find her a bit over the top at times, but overall I tended to like her. She definitely stirs things up and I liked how she puts Christian off kilter in such a delightful way that was very amusing at various times throughout the story.

Overall I found Trouble At The Wedding, a great additon to a full of life series that just steals your breath away. Charming characters, sensual chemistry, endearing set of cirumstances and a plot that will take you on a adventure that spans from New York to London. A breath of fresh air and I couldn't help but adore this story. A WINNER in my book!

First Line 
The middle of the ocean wasn't the usual location for a lavish, high society wedding, but if anyone could make that wedding a success, it was Miss Annabel Wheaton.

Favorite Quote 
I'm not talking about love. I'm talking about something else,  a feeling I'd wager my life Rumsford has never given you."
"What feeling is that?"
He let go of her arms and cupped her face in his hands. "This one," he said, and he kissed her. 

My Grade 
4 Blossoms

Heat Rating 
Steamy

Other Books In The Series 
Wedding of the Season
Scandal of the Year  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails