Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Book Review-Once Upon A Tartan

Once Upon A Tartan
 MacGregor Trilogy (2)
Grace Burrowes
Sourcebooks Casablanca
Paperback
Published August 2013
382 Pages
Scottish Highlands Historical Romance
ISBN: 978-1-40226869-4
Authors Website
Synopsis 
Hester MacDaniel is recovering from an engagement gone awry by summering at her brother's holding in the Highlands, and looking after her brother's young step-daughter, Fiona.

Tiberius Flynn, heir to the English Marquis of Quinworth, appears on Hester's doorstep claiming he's Fee's paternal uncle, and he's been sent by her English relations to make the girl's acquaintance.

Tye believes his brother's dying wishes compel him to take Fee south with him, but he doesn't plan on Hester capturing his heart, even as she fights him tooth and nail for custody of Fiona.
My Review

Tiberius has been sent on a serious mission by his father up to the highlands. As much as Tiberius despises himself for what he will have to do, he reminds himself that he doesn't have a choice. Hester Daniels has been taking care of Fiona, a relative, a little girl that is in need of mothering and someone to watch over her. Fiona's mother has recently gotten married and has gone on a honeymoon, so Hester has taken it upon herself to take care of this feisty little girl who has her wrapped around her finger. Hester will do anything for Fiona. When a stranger arrives on her doorstep, insisting that he is Fiona's uncle, she is more than a little suspicious. She has never met the man, and she feels as if he is hiding something very important from her. But as the three of them spend time together, she starts to soften, seeing a side of Tye she didn't imagine she would when she first met him. A powerful passion starts to build between Hester and Tye, and before Hester realizes it, she knows that she could very easily give up her heart to this virile man that heats her blood.But there is a secret Tye is hiding from her and she can't fully give him her heart until she know him body and soul.

Once Upon A Tartan is the Second in the series, and is set up in Scotland. and this trilogy is part of the MacGregor clan. It starts out with a sweet scene between Tye and his niece Fiona. I enjoyed seeing the connection they instantly make, and having a weakness for charming and adorable little runts, I couldn't help but fall in love with Fiona instantly. She has such a curiosity and open trust that is heartwarming. The story then begins when Tye and Hester meet for the first time, which isn't exactly smooth sailing. Fireworks explode, because Hester has little trust in men, but especially strangers that bring Fiona home, a little girl who is everything to Hester. Hester has suffered through a scandal and has been hurt in the past, but you see she can't help but be drawn to Tye. Tye alone is sexy as sin. As the reader, you see a glimpse of what he is dealing with internally, but you don't see the full scheme of things till much later on. I liked the tension between Tye and Hester heat up, and I loved how Hester doesn't care about consequences, she is bold and daring, but protects her heart fiercely.

Once Upon A Tartan was a savorful story that makes your mouth water. There were times I had to force myself to keep reading, I think either I was letting myself get distracted from reading, or sometimes I feel like this is the style of Burrowes writing at times. Doesn't fully captivate you 100% of the time. But I felt the plot was full of a few twist and turns, not overdoing it at all, but I also wished there had been a bit more to the story. I felt at the end that it was a fully satisfying read, but part of me wished that there had been a bit more of a conflict involved. I did love the aspect of adding a child into the story. It always add a certain sense of innocence and playfulness to it. It was fun seeing Tye and Fiona connect and go on adventures together, the descriptions were so well done, I almost felt like I was actually there. I felt the characterization were well done for the most part, I don't have any complaints on Tye or Hester. They were a fun and exciting couple to see get attached to each other. We also see the involvement of Ian and Augusta (the couple from the first book for those of you who haven't read this series yet), which was fun to see them again and their connection to Hester.

I enjoyed this story much more than I imagined I would in the beginning. It did take me quite a few pages, before I got fully drawn into the story. But that tends to happen with Grace Burrowes. I feel like you really have to give her books a chance, you can't just quit after a few pages. For me, it takes a couple chapters, before I find myself finding true fun in the story. I do want to say that one of my ultimate favorite things about Burrowe's books, are the covers. They are so exquisite and slightly erotic, but not overly much too, just enough to entice anyone to pick it up. They have a certain quality about them, that is full of color and goes along with the theme of the story or the series. A wonderfully written love story, that is bursting with a sensuality and a certain polish to it that brings forth a vibrancy to the story. A Richly emotion filled tale that will capture your heart!!

My Grade 
4 Blossoms

Heat Rating 
Steamy

Other Books In The Series 
The Bridegroom Wore Plaid
The Macgregors Lady 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails