Sunday, October 27, 2013

Book Review-Wedded In Scandal

Wedded In Scandal
 Bridal Favors (1)
Jade Lee
Berkley Sensation
Paperback
Published March 2012
313 Pages
Regency Historical Romance
ISBN: 978-0-425-24593-4
Authors Website
The dazzling wedding fashions of A Lady’s Favor dress shop are guaranteed to make any girl the talk of the ton. But the brides aren’t the only ones falling in love…

Lady Helaine’s father was cast out of society as a liar and a thief—a scandal which renders her unfit for marriage. In order to provide for herself and her mother, she adopts an assumed name and runs a dressmaker’s shop that specializes in bridal wear for ladies of high society. Helaine is happiest immersed in silk and satin, but she lives in terror that someone will learn her true identity and she will lose everything…again.

Robert Percy, Viscount Redhill, is entranced with the mysterious Helaine and weaves a web of seduction sure to ensnare the delectable dress designer. Yet too late he learns the heartbreaking truth about who she used to be. Now he must find a way to overcome the past to claim Helaine as his own. But what chance has love when a secret mistress becomes a scandalous wife?
My Review
Lady Helaine was once a member of the Ton, and was raised in society, but then when it became a scandal that her father was stealing from others, they were cast out. Her father disappeared, and she and her mother were forced to provide for themselves. So in order to keep them from starving and living on the streets, Helaine's takes a new identity as a "Mrs. Mortimer" and she then designs gowns for young ladies in high society. When put in a hard position of asking for money instead of credit, since she will need food and more supplies in cloth and accessories, she decides to go to the Viscount Redhill. Robert is outraged when the Mrs. Mortimer comes to call and demands that he pay for his sister wedding trousseau, and believing the amount to be way more than he thought it would cost, he forces her out of his home, and threatens to call the magistrate on her. When Helaine returns home, she knows she will have to take swift action, but then Robert's sister, devises a plan for Helaine to get supplies. Helaine has been forced to take certain measures to get credit at certain suppliers, but when Robert and his sister demand to come along, she concedes reluctantly. A disaster ends up happening, and Helaine has lost her one and only source of materials. Then Robert declares his intentions to have her as his mistress. Even though that is the last thing that Helaine could ever desire, she finds she can't resist his tender embraces, or the way he heightens her senses with his kisses. When Helaine's past comes to light, he wonders if there will be a way to overcome the past and build a future together as husband and wife.

Over the years I have heard so many great things about Jade Lee. When I found Wedded In Scandal on the shelves of my local library, I couldn't resist trying it out. Especially since this whole series was there, and I wanted to try out the first one in the series. I don't always have the chance to read a series in order, but I do want to try in this series. I do love Regency romances that have a setting of a hidden identity and where a character has to get creative to survive. I truly fell in love with Helaine for the most part, strong and independent and smart. She had spunk and fire to her personality, she didn't just give into any demands, but went after what she desired. Robert, is like most hero's from this time period-Handsome, Arrogant, Stiff and proper. But underneath is a man that has a secret that could ruin him just as Helaine's secret could destroy all that she has built. Even though they seem to be from opposite worlds, they both have a unique bond with each other, and seem to connect because underneath the surface they are more alike than different.

I found the style of this story, very original in its own way. There were certain things, such as the basic story line that was very similar to many other Regency era romances that I have read. However, as I read Wedded In Scandal  I found that it was way more intriguing than I thought it would be. I found it to be so captivating and witty and charming that I couldn't put it down, having only read it under a couple of hours. Yes it is slight shorter with only 300 pages, but I flew through the pages faster than I have in a book for a long time. There was a certain detail to the story that pulled me in from the beginning. I couldn't help but admire the compelling writing of Jade Lee as she weaves a tale of in depth characters and a plot with fast paced tension to sweep you away into a beautifully crafted love story of passion and desire.

Overall I couldn't help but fall in love with Jade Lee and the first installment in the Bridal Favors Series of Wedded In Scandal. A truly sensational read that is refreshing and emotionally driven!!! A WONDERFUL STORY!!! WOW!!
.
Favorite Quote
"Thank you for your wisdom,"
He blinked, his mind only slowly shifting away from the sight of her lips. "You make me sound like a old cleric sitting on a dais. You know, some women find my quite spry"
"Some women would find aged cheddar cheese to be spry."
He Blinked. "Did you just compare me to cheese?"
"I did, my lord." Then she leaned forward and touched his hand. "But never fear. I have quite the fondness for cheddar cheese."

My Grade 
5 Blossoms

Heat Rating 
Warm

Other Books In Series 
Wedded In Sin
What The Bride Wore
What The Groom Wants 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails