Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Book Review-The Wild Marquis

The Wild Marquis
The Burgundy Club (1)
Miranda Neville
Avon Publishing
Mass Market Paperback
Published March 2010
372 Pages
Regency Historical Romance
ISBN: 978-0-06-180870-8
Author's Website
Synopsis (Goodreads)
The Marquis of Chase is not a reputable man.

He is notorious for his wretched morals and is never received in respectable houses. The ladies of the ton would never allow him in their drawing rooms . . . though some of them have welcomed him into their bedchambers. Ejected from his father’s house at the age of sixteen, he now lives a life of wanton pleasure. So what could the Marquis of Chase possibly want with Juliana Merton, a lovely, perfectly upstanding shopkeeper with a mysterious past?

A moment’s indiscretion?

A night’s passion?

Or a lifetime of love?

Even the wildest rakes have their weaknesses . .
My Review

Summary 
Juliana, has worked hard to become a upstanding book seller and shopkeeper. She has had to do much to make sure no scandal could ever be attached to her, and hide a secret that could very well ruin her for the rest of her life. When she meets the Marquis of Chase, she knows that he is big trouble. The kind that would tempt her in a variety of wickedness and pure bliss. She knows she must stay away from him, and with warnings from all of her friends, she know she should be smart. However, she knows he has the money and connections to get her a certain book that she has been searching for, for quite some time. A book that could contain all the answers she could ever need about her roots and true parentage. When she and Chase strike up a bargain, she wonders if she has sealed a deal with the devil himself. Cain, when a teenager, was kicked out of his school by his father, and out of his home when accused of a action he didn't commit. But because of his love for his mother and sister, he knew he must leave. So he has spent his life making his own way, and even though no one in the Ton would accept him into their home, he doesn't care. He lives his life for pleasure and fun. When he meets Juliana he is instantly drawn to her. But will a few nights be enough to satisfy him or will he want forever?

The Hero (Cain, Marquis of Chase)
Cain is known as disreputable but has his own wealth and doesn't have to worry about much. But when he meets Juliana, he wants to be respectable again. When he was young, he suffered much at the hands of his father. His father loved to inflict pain, and would whip him on a regular basis. But then his father accused him of some dastardly act, and was kicked out of his own home. But when his sister comes to him asking him to be her guardian, he wants to be there for her. The only way he can do that properly is to marry, and the only woman he would ever marry is Juliana, but convincing her to agree might take some time and a lot of charm, he only hopes that is enough.

The Heroine (Juliana Merton)
Juliana has recently lost her husband. She respected him and cared for him, but didn't truly love him, but they had a good marriage until he was murdered in a Inn. Now she is a bookseller, and has a stable reputation, but she suspects someone may be after her. Juliana has doubted whether or not she was born on the wrong side of the blanket. She never knew her parents, they both died when she was born. But she is desperate to know the truth. So seeking a certain book,she knows she needs the Marquis's help. When he starts to show her to road down desire and passion, she had no idea how easily she could sucuumb to Cain and his tender touches that only inflame her more. But what she wants most is his love...

My Thoughts 
This is the first book I have read from this author. I have been wanting to read from her for quite some time now. But I hadn't gotten around to it until now. What drew me into the book was the blurb...and the cover too. But I just love a good disreputable rake that is utterly irresistable. I was surprised expected some amazing read, which turned out to be a little above average. It just didn't sing to me until the second half of the book. My usual rule is if I don't get into it 100 pages in, to just put it down. However I decided to try to push that limit a bit further. I am glad that I did however, because I did enjoy the last half of the book. That is where it got really good. The plot for all of the story was good, but there was just something about the beginning that I had the hardest time getting into. So it took me two days to read which it normally takes me one. I did enjoy the chemistry between Cain and Juliana and I felt like there was enough conflict to keep me interested. I felt like Juliana was a little to bland for me, she just didn't have as much spunk as I expected. Her reasons for resisting Cain I thought was a bit ridiculous at times, but she eventually pulled through and at the end of the book I started to like her LOL. Cain was totally intriguing in every way. He had the seductive appeal, but he also could be very sensitive at times, it just broke my heart to see him struggle throughout the story. Overall a interesting story, that I had a hard time getting into and it took a while, but once I did get into the story I enjoyed it. It didn't call out to me or make my toes curl, but it was a average enjoyable read. I do plan on reading more from this author, see what her other books are like.

First Line 
It was the most beautiful illuminated manuscript ever created.

Favorite Quote 
"Why do we have to wait until we get upstairs?"
"Because, Lady Chase, you have just become entirely respectable. I've never made love to an entirely respectable woman, but I'm told it needs to be done in a bed."
"Always?" she groused
He stopped and turned, framing her face in his hands, his irresistible smile slashing his cheeks. his eyes were oceans of humor and love, his voice a sensual fog that sent shivers through her.
"Don't worry, my love. I may be happily domesticated but I can safely promise I'll never be respectable."

My Grade 
3 Blossoms

Heat Rating 
Warm 

Other Books In Series 
The Dangerous Viscount
The Amorous Education of Selia Seaton
Confessions From An Arranged Marriage

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails