Sunday, April 28, 2013

Book Review-Seduction Wears Sapphires

Seduction Wears Sapphires
Jaded Gentlemen (2)
Renee Bernard
Berkley Sensation
Mass Market Paperback
Published August 2010
291 Pages
Regency Historical Romance
ISBN: 978-0-425-23596-6
Ashe Blackwell has enjoyed the life of an unrepentant rakehell ever since his return from India. But when his beloved grandfather challenges him to reform for a single, social Season in London—or forfeit his inheritance—Ashe agrees to the ultimate wager.

Fearless when it comes to a dare, Ashe fails to anticipate the ace up his grandfather's sleeve. He will be assigned an unconventional chaperone—Miss Caroline Townsend, a young, independent, well-educated, American woman with beautiful eyes and no patience for rogues.

The sparks fly from their first meeting as the pair squares off in a duel of wills. When passion and desire are added to the mix, they both battle to keep control as a dangerous seduction begins to unravel their lives and threaten their futures.
My Review
Summary 
Caroline has been sent a request from her grandfather's friend and business partner, to help him in a venture, and in return he will pay her a good amount of money, so that she could live the life she has always wanted, instead of teaching. Ashe has recently returned from India and suffered being imprisoned and ever since he has returned only wants to forget and put his past behind him. So he has lived a life in London has a full on rake, gambling and taking his pleasure wherever he can find it. But then his grandather forces him into a challenge, a bet of sorts. He will have to live for two weeks with no scandal of any sort attached to him, and will have a chaperone attached to his side to make sure that he behaves, or be removed from the will forever and be shunned from society. What he doesn't count on is having to resist his attraction to his new companion, whose opinionated and stubborn nature only draws him more to her. He doesn't understand how their constant arguments could be sensual in their own way. But when Caroline starts to share with him a unbridled passion, he is more than willing to share sensual delights with her, but what will be the cost?

My Thoughts 
Seduction Wears Sapphires is the second in the series, and this is the first time that I have read from this author. I hadn't heard many things about this author since I think she is a bit newer, but when I read the blurb, this story sounded like something that I would enjoy reading. I am not sure if it was me or if I was distracted or what, but I had the hardest time getting into it, until the last few chapters-which is where it really got interesting. I found the plot to be stable and secure, but I think maybe it was just the style of the author's writing, that just didn't get me interested enough. It was the type of story that you can relax with but not one you can fully engage with. It didn't stand out to me in any significant way and to say I was a bit disappointed is a understatement. I had high hopes for Seduction Wears Sapphires, and I am glad that I stuck with the story instead of putting it down, but I almost had to force myself at times to continue reading, where it came quite close to being a chore instead of a pleasure. I did like the basis for the story, and the characters were likable enough, it just didn't seem to have enough zest and spark to get me to fully enjoy it. I do think I plan on trying the others in the series, since I want to read the other connected books, maybe I will enjoy them more ( I do hope so), especially since after that this author does have potential. It may just be it just wasn't enough to reach out to me, hopefully I will get a chance to read more from this author and see what her other books are like compared to this one. Keeping the fingers crossed. :) Overall I found it to be a somewhat likeable read, that was full of flavor and sensuality and was very clever at times.

First Line 
The clipper ship's deck pitched hard, and Caroline's grip on the railing tightened until she couldn't feel her hands. 

Favorite Quote 
"You are an imperious and infuriating man, Mr.Blackwell."
"I'd apologize, but I think I should wait for just another moment."
"Another moment for what purpose?"
"For this."
He leaned over and, in an instance of pure impulse, kissed her. Instead of a tender first kiss, this was about reclamation and possession of the sweet delights he'd already sampled. 

My Grade 
3 Blossoms

Heat Rating 
Steamy 

Other Books In Series 
Revenge Wears Rubies
Ectsasy Wears Emeralds
Passion Wears Pearls
Obsession Wear Opals
Desire Wears Diamonds 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails