Friday, June 14, 2013

Short ARC Book Review-It Happened One Midnight

It Happened One Midnight
Pennroyal Greens (8)
Julie Anne Long
Avon
E Book
Published Jun 25 2013
384 Pages
Regency Historical Romance
ISBN 978-0-06-211807-3
Author Website
Synopsis 
More than one beautiful woman’s hopes have been dashed on the rocky shoals of Jonathan Redmond’s heart. With his riveting good looks and Redmond wealth and power, the world is his oyster—until an ultimatum from his father and a chilling gypsy prophesy send him hurtling headlong toward a fate he’ll do anything to avoid: matrimony.

Intoxicating, elusive Thomasina de Ballesteros has the bloods of London at her feet. But none of them knows the real Tommy—the one with a shocking pedigree, a few too many secrets, and a healthy scorn for rakes like Jonathan.

She is everything Jonathan never wanted. But on one fateful midnight, he’s drawn into Tommy's world of risk, danger…and a desire he’d never dreamed possible. And suddenly he’s re-thinking everything...including the possibility that succumbing to prophesy might just mean surrendering to love.
My Review 
I was given a copy of this book by Avon through Edelweiss, and having enjoyed the previous books in the series, I was really excited. However I had a hard time getting into it. I don't know if it was just me or what, but it took me a couple of days to read it, I eventually was able to enjoy it and get into it but it was the latter half of the book. I really wanted to at least finish it so I continued on, and I felt that it was just dragging for me. I felt it had a strong plot though, it just didn't draw me in, like I am used to. What I enjoyed most about this story, is the sparks between Tommy and Jonathan, but it does take them a while before the circumstances between them get heated. You have to wait a bit for the first kiss, and I felt that the beginning of the story could have been a bit more less confusing. I don't know why, but I had a hard time connecting the dots with this one. I did enjoy the story overall, but there were a few inconsistencies that I had issues with. I really liked the characters, they seemed to be well developed. I am rating this as a 3, because I had to almost force myself to read it for the first half of the book, but I would recommend this one, if you have enjoyed her other books. It has a unique setting and I enjoyed seeing the minor conflicts that rise through the story, that only strengthen this couple's bond. 

First Line 
The moon lay on its side like a discarded pick-ax, the stars' diamond smithereens strewn all around it.

Favorite Quote
She hadn't been kissed...in so long.
And he did. His lips bumped her gently, once. 
It was downright chaste. 
She was on the verge of finding this very funny when his mouth returned to brush over hers, slowly, light as a breath.
Testing.
Lulling.
Mmmmmmm.
Devil take it, but now she was curious. 
She didn't stop to reflect that curiosity had been the downfall of many a woman. 

My Grade 
3 Blossoms

Heat Rating 
Warm

Other Books In Series 
The Perils of Pleasure
Like No Other Lover
Since The Surrender
I kissed An Earl
What I Did For A Duke
How The Marquess Was Won
A Notorious Countess Confesses

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails