Sunday, June 30, 2013

ARC Book Review-The Lady And The Laird

The Lady and the Laird
Scottish Brides (1)
Nicola Cornick
Harlequin
E Book
Published July 30 2013
384 Pages
Scottish Highlands Historical Romance
ISBN: 978-0-373-77741-9
Author's Website
Synopsis
An Indecent Proposal!

Lady Lucy MacMorlan may have forsworn men and marriage, but that doesn't mean she won't agree to profit from writing love letters for her brother's friends - letters that become increasingly racy as her fame grows. That is, until she deliberately ruins the betrothal of a notorious laird, Robert, Marquis of Methven.

Past centuries of bloodshed have left the Methven and MacMorlan families bitter enemies and Robert is furious that Lady Lucy's letters have cost him the bride he needs so urgently to save his ancestral clan lands. Now he makes Lucy a shocking proposal; in return for his silence she must become his wife and provide him with the heir he needs. It is an inconvenient marriage of convenience but can the rugged laird and the bluestocking beauty fight against the power of love?

Scottish Brides - Where Regency elegance meets Highland passion!
My Review
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley by Harlequin. This is the first time that I have read from this author, and I really enjoyed myself wit this story. It was a bit unique in the way it developed, It starts out a bit slow in the beginning, but when you really start to get into it, then the plot tends to escalate even further. I wouldn't say that this is my favorite romance by any means, I would say it was enjoyable and fun but nothing about it really stood out to me.

Robert, has just returned from Canada, when his grandfather dies, and he must take over responsibility of his estates as Laird. He finds out though that he has to marry soon, and not just any bride, there is a very short list of prospects. And he must produce a heir within a year after the marriage, in order to keep his lands. He is very devoted to repairing the damage his grandfather had committed. But then his bride ends up eloping with another man, and the culprit is Lady Lucy. Lucy is a bluestocking to its truest form, and a very talented author. When her brother comes to her for help in writing love letter, she sees no harm in it, and needs the money. But when she finds herself in a situation where she is unable to keep the truth from Robert, she knows that she is in trouble. Then he  proposes marriage to her of all things!! She is determined to never marry, but when Robert kisses her, all of her protests melt away, and she doesn't know what she really wants. But when she ends up having no choice but to marry him, she wonders if she has made the right choice.

I felt like this story was pretty well developed for the most part, and I would characterize it as a sweet love story. However I felt while reading it, a certain element missing. I felt that it didn't have enough "pizazz" to really captivate me. I would say it was overall a very enjoyable story that had some positive aspects to the story, but its not the "impossible to put down". As a matter of fact, I could easily put it down. It also ended a bit too quick, and I felt especially at the last part of the book that it was missing something, it was cut short I thought at the end. But I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys a quick and poignant romance.

My Grade 
4 Blossoms

Heat Rating 
Warm

Other Books In Series 
One Night With The Laird


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails