Monday, June 4, 2012

Book Review-My Wicked Little Lies

My Wicked Little Lies
Sinful Family Secrets (2)
Victoria Alexander
 Zebra Historical Romance
Paperback
Published Feb 2012
374 Pages
Regency Historical Romance
ISBN 978-1-4201-1706-8

Evelyn Hadley-Attwater has it all -- a genteel Victorian life replete with loving husband, ball gowns and elegant parties. No one, including the man she married, suspects that she was once "Eve," a spy for England's most enigmatic intelligence agency. Summoned for one final assignment, the excitement of her former life and memories of her mysterious, flirtatious boss "Sir" prove too tempting....

Adrian Hadley-Attwater is a respectable, dignified gentleman. But even the most proper gentlemen have secrets of their own. Secrets from the rest of the world, from their families, from their wives. Secrets that have a price. Now, as a veil of secrecy frays, a tantalizing game of cat and mouse will test the bounds of unfailing love...
My Review

Summary:
Evelyn, has The Life, married with a adoring husband, parties and friends, and nothing could  bring a dark cloud over her happiness, until her past comes back to haunt her. Evelyn once was a spy who worked for the british government, but gave that all up when she married, and now they need her again, only she despises herself for having to be forced to lie to her husband, the love of her life, but when a old beau comes back into her life, she doesn't know who she will really choose. Adrian, although a gentleman once had a secret life in his past as well, but that kind of life is history, until his wife starts acting a bit odd, and he is determined to find out why. When he discovers what is really going on, he decides to play a game with Evelyn, one that could bring in a danger to them both that neither of them could foresee, and with test the bounds of their love.....

The Hero (Adrian Hadley-Attwater)
Adrian, when forced to take over the title when his older brother died, had to give up a life of intrigue and adventure, and be fully involved in areas in accordance to his position. When he fell in love with Evelyn, two years previous, he gave up his secret life for good, since he didn't want to be keeping secrets from her, but when both of their pasts come back, he will do everything he can to show her his devotion and love no matter the cost....

The Heroine (Evelyn Hadley Attwater) 
Evelyn, has everything she needs right now, and the last thing she needs is to be lying to Adrian, and going on one last mission, and even though at times she feels restless and aches for adventure again, she wouldn't give up her life and her husband now for anything in the world, and when she confronted, with a man who once was pure temptation, she will have to make a choice, not knowing the secrets her husband also holds....

My Thoughts 
My Wicked Little Lies, is the second in this series, and I have seen this one on the shelves for months, and even though its been a while since I have read from this author, I thought why not?? So the minute I got home I started reading, and it caught my attention from the very first chapter, and held it until the very last. I have to say this is probably one of my favorite books so far from this author. I have always loved all the other books that I had read previous by Alexander, however this one I think tops them all. I have a certain weakness for spy stories, especially in a historical romance, and the setting was just perfect. I just loved how the characters in the book, had already fallen in love, and takes places two years after they get married, and we see a lovely story unravel, with an thrilling plot, that curled my toes with anticipation, the characters strongly portrayed and so endearing one couldn't help but fall in love with Evelyn and Adrian and even the side characters as well. I think one of my favorite aspects of this book, is how Evelyn is very strong willed but not too strong, just enough that just wanted me to shout "You go Girl"!!! Adrian is very Alpha at times and very stubborn and it was almost comical watching these two hash it out at different segments throughout the story. Overall a beautifully written story, with a balanced flow, well written characters, and a plot that will steal your breath and .....your heart! Definitely a Keeper!!!!

My Grade On This Series 
5 Blossoms

Other Books In The Series 
His Mistress By Christmas
 






 

5 comments:

  1. so is adrian her husband or the old beau? Not sure i would really like it if she likes an old beau more than her 'adoring husband' :( Curious though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thats what I thought when I first got it....that I might not like it...however I think you would really be happy with the turnout!! It definitely will surprise you!!!

      Delete
  2. This book sounds really cute!
    It does remind me a little of Lord and Lady Spy but not too much. Anyway, thanks for the review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with you! This was definitely an enjoyable read. I love the fact that these two were married, and Alexander made it fun for the reader. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails