Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Quickie Book Review-Lady Amelia's Mess and a Half

Lady Amelia's Mess And A Half
Beau Monde (2)
Samantha Grace
Sourcebooks Casablanca
Paperback
Published June 2012
393 Pages
Regency Historical Romance
ISBN: 978-1-4022-5834-3
Authors Website
Widowed philanthropist Lady Amelia Audley would like nothing more than to forget wealthy bachelor Jake Hillary, but it’s blasted difficult when he is seated next to her at a dinner hosted by his mother. It’s even harder to forgive him for kissing her senseless a year earlier then disappearing without a word. Yet, Amelia must endure Jake’s company if she wishes to benefit from his mother’s connections and win support for a project dear to her heart, the renovation of the foundling hospital.

Jake Hillary has known nothing but heartbreak since he met Amelia. First, she chose his closest friend instead of him then she dismissed his love letters and took up with a rake while he tended to urgent family matters. When his debauched brother sets out to seduce her, Jake risks his heart once more and begins to court Amelia. Soon he and Amelia discover an abiding affection for one another, a love that has survived despite the efforts of others to keep them apart. Happiness seems within their reach at last until the past resurfaces and threatens to destroy their love forever.
My Review

Lady Amelia's Mess And A Half  is the second installment, and my first book to read from this author. In the last few months I have seen this author popping up more and more, so when I was at my local library, I decided to try this one out. The first one wasn't available, so I decided why not read this serious out of order, and hope I can read it as a stand alone, which you definitely can. Although now I do want to read the first one, since we see the couple from the first book involved a bit in this story. Lady Amelia's Mess and a Half is a story set in regency England, and is about second chances. Jake and Amelia once cared about each other, but certain circumstances made it so they couldn't be together. Now Amelia is a widow and available. Jake has a guarded heart, not knowing if he can trust it to Amelia again. I found this story to be a likable romance, however I had a very difficult time getting fully into the story. Even though I was able to read it quickly, I just wasn't able to fully entrench myself into it. I am not sure if it was just me or if its the style of the authors writing, but I did have it as a rating of 3.5 Blossoms, for a reason. Even though there was quite a few things I enjoyed about this story, it didn't sing to me in any spectacular way. Its a romance you can relax into, and enjoy on a quiet afternoon, but not something that will make it memorable necessarily. I do recommend this if you are looking for a simple and easy read. I did feel like everything in this story just fell into place, not much conflict really. I do plan on reading more of the series, just so I can see more of the family here. They definitely caught my attention. I am hoping that this might just be a fluke, and the other I will enjoy quite a bit more. Overall a fun and clever romance.

My Grade 
3.5 Blossoms

Heat Rating 
Warm

Other Books In Series 
Miss Hillary Schools A Scoundrel
Miss Lavinge's Little White Lie
Lady Vivian Defies A Duke

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails