Thursday, May 23, 2013

ARC Book Review-Once Upon A Tower

Once Upon A Tower
Fairy Tales (5)
Eloisa James
Avon
E Book
Published May 28 2013
384 Pages
Regency Historical Romance
ISBN: 978-0-06-222337-6
Author's Website 
Once upon a time…

A duke fell in love


Gowan Stoughton of Craigievar, Duke of Kinross, values order and self-control above all else. So when he meets a lady as serene as she is beautiful, he promptly asks for her hand in marriage.

With a lady

Edie—whose passionate temperament is the opposite of serene—had such a high fever at her own debut ball that she didn’t notice anyone, not even the notoriously elusive Duke of Kinross. When her father accepts his offer… she panics.

And when their marriage night isn’t all it could be, she pretends.

In a tower.

But Edie’s inability to hide her feelings makes pretending impossible, and when their marriage implodes, she retreats to a tower—locking Gowan out.

Now Gowan faces his greatest challenge. Neither commands nor reason work with his spirited young bride. How can he convince her to give him the keys to the tower…

When she already has the keys to his heart?
My Review
Summary 
When Gowan first see's Edith, he knows he must have her as his wife. As he is business partners with her father, it is a very simple matter for them to become engaged. He just never expected to feel so alive and is anxiously waiting for when he can truly take her as His. Edith is suprised but not shocked when she learns of the engagement, without her consent. She knows her father has her best interest at heart. After seeing her father and step mother, have such a emotional and stressful relationship, Edith wants nothing of the kind. Something practical and logical is what she would prefer. However as she and Gowan spend time together, and share some sensual embraces she knows that she could very easily fall in love with the Scot. After they get married however, their intimate relations take a down fall, and instead of being honest with Gowan, Edie keeps the truth to herself until it ends up blowing up in her face, and she hides herself up in a tower, believing that she is a failure as a wife. Gowan will have to lower his pride and humble himself in order to keep Edith as his own, because he couldn't bear losing her after he has found a womna he desperately loves.

My Thoughts 
I have read a few books from this author, and whenever I have, I usually have a fun time with her stories. The last one I read was the Ugly Duchess, which was one of my favorite historicals to read. So I have been so excited to read this, so when I received the ARC from Avon and Edelweiss I was thrilled. I haven't read all of the fairy tale series, but I have read a couple and LOVED it so far. I do enjoy a strong romance that is based on the Fairy Tales. It almost bring a magic into the story, and there is always a HEA right? I had heard some good reviews about Once Upon A Tower, so I knew I would like it. I was blown away by how much I just LOVED this one. Its probably my favorite of her books so far.

Gowan and Edith first meet at a ball, where they don't talk much, but dance and it seems to be enough for them both. Gowan knows from the first moment he dances with Edith, that she is the one he would choose as his wife.  As the Duke of Kinross, he has quite a bit of wealth, prestige and power. But he finds himself falling in love with Edith fast, and a intense desire seems to escalate between them both. Edith doesn't know much about her Fiancee, and she wonders what type of relationship they will have. Edith is a talented cello player, just like her father, but has yet to be made known to the public. Music is life to her, it is everything...until she meets Gowan who introduces her to a new passion and a love. When she married Gowan there is quite a bit that she learns about her self and her new husband. When she begins to doubt herself and the outcome of their relationship, she could very well destroy the one thing that she holds most dear.

Gowan is a Scot, handsome, a sexy brogue and is more than enough of a male to appeal to any woman. I just adored Gowan, he is possessive yet protective, and he is very sensual despite being a virgin. He definitely had my heart rate up. Edith is the type of heroine, you can't help but admire. I love how strong she is inside and out. She is very musically talented, but there is much more to her than meets the eye. She makes some mistakes, but I found that a admirable, she seems human and easier to relate with. I loved how she stuck with things when it really gets rough. Such a lovely pair. At first they are so different from each other, but I enjoyed seeing these two interact and it was quite a ride with all the bumps and hills these two had to climb over to get their happy ending.

 There was quite a bit that I liked about this one. I do love a fun romance based on a fairy tale...this one being Repunzel. There is quite a bit of playfulness at times, a deep sense of sensuality and even though this couple hits some strong conflict, it only helps strengthen their connection to each other. It has been a little while since I have enjoyed such a book. Such a deep riveting tale that is filled with enriching characters and a plot to take you on a adventure and passion. One you don't want to ever miss out on!!! A FAVORITE!!!

First Line 
Whenever possible, Gowan Stoughton of Craigievar, Duke of Kinross, Chief of Clan MacAulay, avoided rooms crowded with Englishmen.

Favorite Quote
"You're my heart, Edie. My Everything"

My Grade 
5 Blossoms

Heat Rating 
Steamy

Other Books In Series 
A Kiss At Midnight
When Beauty Tamed The Beast
The Duke Is Mine
the Ugly Duchess

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails