Monday, June 3, 2013

Book Review- To Pleasure A Lady

To Pleasure A Lady
Courtship Wars (1)
Nicole Jordan
Ballantine Books
Mass Market Paperback
Published January 2008
383 Pages
Regency Historical Romance
ISBN: 978-0-345-49459-7
Author Website
Synopsis
Nicole Jordan spins a delectable tale of wit and exquisite sensuality in this mesmerizing Regency romance, the captivating first in a dazzling new trilogy, The Courtship Wars.

Marcus Pierce, a strikingly handsome aristocrat with a wicked reputation, inherits guardianship of Arabella Loring and her two younger sisters–and immediately declares his intention to marry them off. But gorgeously defiant Arabella sparks frustration–and something deeply erotic–in Marcus. After matching both wits and swords with her, Marcus concludes that this beautiful and formidable foe must be his.

Having sworn off marriage and men, Arabella wishes to be left alone to run her finishing school for young ladies. To that end, she boldly accepts Marcus’s intimate challenge: If he can woo and win her within two weeks, she’ll take her place in his bed as his wife. However, if she can resist his considerable charms, the Loring sisters will be granted their independence. Thus an extraordinary game of seduction begins. . .
My Review
I have read this author a little, only two books. The first one was one of her first ones, and its a bit older, and really enjoyed it. So after hearing great things about the Courtship War series I decided that I needed to give this one a shot. Since my library has the whole series ( I think??). I wanted to start from the beginning, not knowing if it would be easy to catch on or not. You never know though. I found To Pleasure A Lady an amazing story. It definitely sank its tender hooks into my reading spirit and wouldn't let me go. I think I am still feeling the after affects...tingles and more!! There was much that I enjoyed about the way this story played out....but I loved that even if the plot seemed a bit normal, it definitely didn't turn out the way I expected and it had a certain unique voice to it that appealed to my romantic side.

Arabella and her sisters have been ruined in the eyes of society because of the sins of her parents. After her mother abandons them to leave the country with her lover, and her father losing their fortune to gambling and being killed over a woman in a duel. The three sisters are then under the stewardship of their uncle, who could care less about them. So Arabella and her sisters create a school for teaching young girls the finishing touches to be able to deal with the Ton (those who are born into wealth but not into Aristocracy families). Then they are places under the wardship of Marcus Pierce. Marcus doesn't care for the responsibility of the three Loring sisters, who have become a pain in the behind. The eldest has been sending him letter after letter, until she arrives and practically threatens him with his own rapier. When he sees her beauty and fiery spirit, he is instantly wanting her in his bed, but even more than that, she makes him consider marriage for the first time. So with his responsibility to marry them all off, he decides to pursue Arabella and court her. Arabella could care less about getting married again, but when she enters a dangerous wager with him, she wonders if she will be able to resist his charm and sensual nature.

Arabella is a fierce heroine, very passionate and willful and protective of her sisters. She is willing to do whatever it takes to secure their welfare, even her own happiness. Arabella has a very upbeat personality, willing to put a rapier to her ward's throat to get his attention. (definitely one of my favorite moments of the book :) She doesn't back down from a fight, and I really admired her as the match for Marcus. Now lets discus Marcus...a gorgeous specimen of a man. I just fell in lust with him...then love came later of course. (that is how it usually works right??) When he finds someone he feels he could marry, he doesn't hide from his feelings. He isn't one to back down from any challenge, especially from a woman. He is very persuasive, possessive (not too much though), has enough Alpha traits to be appealing, and perfectly balanced with his carefree personality. These two just made me laugh so much, their connection is instantaneous, and there wasn't any moment that I didn't feel their connection.

I am so thrilled to have found a new series that I am excited to read. As the first installment, I have no complaints at all except for the youngest sister (I thought she was a bit extreme in trying to keep Arabella and Marcus apart) But other than that, I couldn't find any fault with this. It instantly grabbed my attention, and I had no issue reading it in a few hours. It definitely quenched my romantic thirst. It wasn't a iffy book or a hard to get into. It starts out with Arabella and Marcus have a bit of a clash, and I loved the instant passion that flares between these two. Such sizzling scenes it could burn down the house or apartment or condo (or wherever you are reading). There is one battle after another, but its very amusing and gets your spirits up. I can't wait for the next in the series!!!

First Line 
Matrimony. The very word was menacing. Yet the new Earl of Danvers could ignore the topic no longer, much to his regret. 

Favorite Quote 
"We will await you in the hall should you need defending."
He saw Arabella stiffen at the quip, but then she laughed, a low melodious sound that once more fired his senses. 
"I promise not to do him bodily harm."
A Pity, was Marcus's first thought; he might have appreciated seeing what she could do his body.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I do not see how I can state my position more clearly, Lord Danvers. I won't marry you for all the spices in India. Is that articulate enough for you to understand?"
He raised an amused eyebrow. "Do you know how many women would be elated to receive an offer of marriage from me?"
"Then apply to any of them. Doubtless they will be deliriously happy to accept. I would not."
"I don't want any other woman. I have chose you, Arabella, and I mean to have you."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We will not be having a wedding night. And you cannot kiss me witless to convince me otherwise."
When his eyes narrowed speculatively on her moth, Arabella realized her mistake. "That was not a challenge," she hurriedly said. 
"It was a challenge. My male pride is at stake."
"Marcus..." she exclaimed as he reached for her.
 The smile he gave her was utterly beautiful  and utterly maddening. "Let me demonstrate, darling."
Before she could scurry out of harm's way, he pulled her onto his lap and into his arms. Arabella opened her mouth in protest, but he took possession of it with searing deliberation. Clasping her nape in a firm hold, he gave her a lingering, blatantly sexual kiss that heated her blood and set her pulse racing. 

My Grade 
4.5 Blossoms

Heat Rating 
Steamy

Other Books In Series 
To Bed A Beauty
To Seduce A Bride
To Romance A Charming Rogue
To Tame A Dangerous Lord
To Desire A Wicked Duke 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails