Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Book Review- To Burn

To Burn
Claudia Dain
Leisure, 379 Pages
Published April 2002
Ancient Rome Romance
ISBN: 0-8439-4985-6


Synopsis:
He has sworn to battle the empire wherever he finds it, and an isolated Roman villa in Britannia seems the perfect target for his revenge. He and his fierce Saxon warriors will sweep through it like an inferno, destroying all in their path. From the moment he sees her, he knows she embodies all that Rome stands for: pride, arrogance, civilization, beauty. She is a woman like no other, fighting with undaunted spirit even as he makes her his slave. She calls him barbarian, calls him oaf, calls him her enemy. Yet when he takes her in his hard-muscled arms, her body trembles with excitement. But will the fire flaring between them conquer him or her? Is the passion that burns in their souls born of hatred, or of love?



My Review:
Melania is a roman, after her villa is attacked and her father killed she is taken captive by Wulfred, a Saxon warrior. Wulfred despises the Romans, after suffering great at their hands he vows vengence. Killing and rampaging any Roman in his way, as it is with his fellow Saxon's. However when he is faced with this Roman beauty, she is different and is definitely intrigued. At first Melania is bitter again Wulfred, always standing up to him in a very violent way. As time continues however, there is a sensual connection that fires up between the two. But who will conquer who? Will love be the conquering will power in their bonding?

I found that as much as I loved the cover and the book description however this wasn't a book that I enjoyed to the extent that I had a hard time reading it at time. Melania even though there were times that I enjoyed her personality, at the beginning of this book, I found her to have a very violent nature, and I had a difficult time liking this heroine. I think the time that I started to like her is when she started to gentle her nature toward Wulfred. Wulfred is pure alpha male, and I found him endearing, despite his domineering manner. Of course considering the fact that he is a commander in the Saxon army and what he has suffered in the past, but if amused by Melania's actions at certain times. Although there were times that I really enjoyed this love story that blossoms between two enemies, there were still some parts that I struggled with and it seemed like it didn't flow smoothly all the way through. But it was a good romance and had some enlightening aspects that was amusing and heated at times.

My Grade On This Book
3.5 Blossoms


1 comment:

  1. Great review! You pointed out good and bad things. I'm glad you could enjoy the book in general. And funny thing, for a moment I thought that a younger Bard Pitt was on the cover.;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails