Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Book Review-The Lone Warrior by Lori Austin

The Lone Warrior
Once Upon A Time In The West (3)
Lori Austin
Signet Eclipse
Paperback
Published January 2014
307 Pages
Acquired: Library 
Western Historical Romance
ISBN: 978-0-451-24232-7
Authors Website
Synopsis
Rose Varner needs a man…...

But not just any man. The one known as "White Ghost with Hair of Fire." He may be the only way to rescue her daughter, Lily, from the Cheyenne.  Legend has it he was once the Cheyenne’s captive, but his courage impressed them so much that they accepted him as one of their own. Yet the man Rose finds seems far from legendary.…

Luke Phelan’s tortured past has driven him to live as a recluse in the Smoky Hills of western Kansas. Having vowed to keep his distance from the Cheyenne, Luke refuses to accompany Rose on her rescue mission. But her bravery in the face of dangerous odds changes his mind. Now as they ride toward their destination, they’ll battle outlaws, bounty hunters, and their own rising desires before finding Lily. But the cost to Rose will be high, and her budding love for Luke will be put to the test.…
My Review

 This is the first time I have read this author, and what a interesting plot that this turned out to be. It has been a while siine I have read a historical western romance, so I found this story to be like a breath of fresh air. I was really surprised in how much I really liked reading this one. I wasn't expecting it, I had read the blurb and it sounded intriguing but I think I chose to read it for the gorgeous cover we have here. The style was very original and it didn't turn out in the way I ever expected it to. One of the major aspects I enjoyed was how this book constantly was surprising me, whenever I thought I could predict what would happen next, well then there would be a certain "bump" in the plot and it would totally put me on edge in supsense. There is so much in this story that I would highly recommend. I have to admit, I have been wanting to read this one since it first came out at the beginning of the year, but wanting to wait till it became available at my local library It was definitely worth the wait.

The story begins when a young woman, who left everything she knew in the city, from a rich family, to marry a farmer in Kansas. But then the Cheyenne attack and take her daughter from her. For over a year Rose has been searching for any clue as to her daughters whereabouts. When she hears of the "white ghost" she knows that she must find him at all costs, because he may be key to finding her daughter, rumored to have lived with the Cheyenne for some time. When she finds him, he isn't willing to help in any way, and almost kills her, but for the first time Luke doesn't listen to the Wind, there is something about Rose that keeps him for killing her as he as the others that have hunted him. As they search together for Lily, you see a desire between them burn, but meanwhile they are chased by outlaws and bounty hunters, and they will find Lily in the least expected place...but it will come at a price.

There was such a strong connection between Luke and Rose from the start. Unlike other native american romances I have read, this story really threw me off....in the least expected ways. I adored this story, and the way the author had the ability to create a plot that you find yourself captivated and drawn into the story. The descriptions and the history were very vivid and I enjoyed seeing the authors voice come shining through in the story as well. I found myself fully satisfied by the end of the story, and I definitely can't wait to try the preveious books of the series....they just sound delightful and if you have read the previous books...you get to see those characters in this story. Even thyough I read this out of order, I never felt like I had to read the previous books. This story can be read as a stand alone if need be. Although I would have liked a chance to read it in order. Overall a captivating story of passion and history!! COMPELLING ON EVERY PAGE!!

My Grade 
4 Blossoms

Heat Rating 
Warm

Other Books In Series 
Beauty and the Bounty Hunter
An Outlaw In Wonderland
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails