Friday, August 13, 2010

Book Review-The Laird Who Loved Me


The Laird Who Loved Me 
Karen Hawkins
Pocket, 368 Pages
Published Sep 2009
Scottish Highlands Historical Romance
ISBN: 978-1-4165-6026-5

Synopsis
Handsome Alexander MacLean enjoyed his intoxicating flirtation with lovely Caitlyn Hurst...until she embarrassed him in front of the entire ton. Orchestrating Caitlyn's attendance at a fashionable house party, Alexander plots her downfall. But to his fury, her charm and wit thwart his plan to ruin her.


Her disastrous London season left Caitlyn filled with regret and determined to make things right with Alexander. She's delighted to find him at the house party to which she's unexpectedly invited -- but it's clear that the sexy, arrogant Highlander hasn't forgiven her. So Caitlyn comes up with a bold scheme, proposing an unusual contest drawn from legend: each must complete a set of "mythic" tasks. If Caitlyn succeeds, Alexander promises to relent and forgive her previous rash behavior; if he succeeds, she will join him in his bed! But can Caitlyn force Alexander to give up his quest for vengeance without giving up her heart in return?


My Review:
Alexander MacLean, the oldest of the Maclean clan, has been both amused yet frustrated by the enticing Caitlyn Hurst, then after the incident that trapped his brother into marriage, he desired revenge against her. However, he knew it wouldn't be easy, with Caitlyn matching him on every level. Caitlyn Hurst, even after seeing that her sister and her husband are very much in love, she wonders if she will ever be so lucky as to find that as well. She has been attracted to Alexander ever since she met him. Having shared some passionate embraces, she knows that there is something explosive between them. When she is invited to a house party, she never expected to see Alexander again, and its obvious that he is still furious over what had happened to his brother and is far from forgiveness. As time goes forward throughout the story, a battle of wills ensue, where a bet is made between Alexander and Caitlyn, but who will win? The battle of wills and love is on!

As much as I was looking forward to reading Alexander's story, I found that both of these characters in this story were a bit like little children fighting over a toy. It was a amusing story, and definitely had me laughing at quite a few moments, however it just seemed to be lacking in a strong and emotional side, that I like seeing from Karen Hawkins. Throughout the whole book I kept wondering when they were going to admit they love each other and get over the whole "I despise you" scenario, it got tedious after a while. There was some good passion in this story, and a strong plot, I think the characters were somewhat lacking. However despite the fact that I didn't like the attitude they had in the book, I did enjoy both of them. Alexander being the oldest, and the most furious temper of his whole family, has a lot of anger bottled up inside of him. Of course, Caitlyn is the focus of all that frustration. When they decide to act on a dangerous wager, they both are determined to win at any cost. Caitlyn, was the first to be sent out to society, and has always felt spirited, and never has held back from what she has wanted. When she agrees to the wager, she had no idea how much caos that would ensue due to it. What they both find in the end, is that they have found a love that will bring them excitement and passion that they never expected to find in each others arms. It was still a enjoyable read, and I am glad to have read Alexanders story.

My Grade On This Book
3.5 Blossoms

Other Books In The Series
How To Abduct A Highland Lord
To Scotland, With Love
To Catch A Highland Laird
Sleeping In Scotland



3 comments:

  1. I actually didn't like the first book in this series so i've never read them. Doesn't seem like they got better though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Karen Hawkins!
    I'm stopping by from the hop
    Stop by & visit me at Hott Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm a new follower and I loved your honest review because I love Scottish Highlanders. But he looks like he's wearing athletic socks. Nobody does a cover like Karen Marie Moning. Her Scottish Highlanders were so yummy. I haven't read her since she started with the sister being killed. I want my Scottish Highlanders back. Have you tried Melissa Mayhue? She writes good Scottish Highlanders. Anyway, thanks for stopping by. I'll visit again. I always love a good romance. Heather your newest follower

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails